Friday, August 7, 2009

In my never ending search for basketball news (yes, I am a FANatic), I happened across an article that raised age old question as to whether athletes should be viewed as role models. I don't know, maybe it is just me, but that question just seems to be, how should I say this... "Not well thought out" ( I really want to say dumb as dirt). While we are at it why don't we ask other ill conceived questions like... "Are all dogs good watch dogs."

Obviously there is a reason this question pertaining to athletes is asked. The answer to which has nothing to do with whether or not one really believes the question has any validity. Surprise!! No, the reason the question is asked is because it sparks debate or interest. Debate or interest by whom you ask? Well I will leave you to ponder, or not, just who might even care about such a question. The reality is that you can no more judge athletes as a whole with regard to being a role model as you can judge canines as a whole for being watch dogs.

NEXT!!!

1 comment:

  1. In our present day culture, our role models are chosen not by what they strive for as human beings, but rather by large money making corporations, including sports and music industries. Our current mediums (Internet, TV, etc.) which are supported by these conglomerates, use marketable persuasion determining who our role models should be in order to support the industries where the money and power comes from. In essence, you and I are the real role models, at least that is how I view myself at this moment in time. Now this all very subjective and definitely based on my very own personal views.
    On another note…. a couple of months back, I received an anonymous call regarding a high school reunion. I sort of ignored it at the time but held on to the telephone number offered in the phone message. The other day while going through a pile of I don’t what (papers), I came across the phone number and gave it a try. It turned out to be someone I definitely remember and was once (about 30 years ago) very good friends with. Well, this prompted me to play around a little bit on the World Wide Web, and guess what, you popped up. What really motivated me to write this, was that your blog talked about your unfortunate experience with AVM. I wanted to wish you health and strength. I know how scary and frustrating it can be when ones health has been compromised, as I am sure you do too. I am not sure if you will remember who I am and if you do I hope you don’t find it to odd.
    Be Well! Laura Rubin

    ReplyDelete